In the Philippines today the length of Main and Secondary educational institutions is getting debated no matter if to include yet another two far more years in the regular 6 many years key and four years secondary, making secondary also 6 years for a whole of twelve years in planning to faculty schooling. Faculty principals and academics alike are divided. Spending dad and mom in the privates faculties are resistant when even non-paying mothers and fathers in the community schools elevate their brows on the plan of the governing administration. Several sectors dilemma the method for that would necessarily mean spending additional and being extended in university. Moms and dads want their little ones to end university proper absent so that their kids can help them alleviate their poverty. So what’s the use of adding years in the 100-yr very long educational program when Filipino graduates all in excess of the globe are aggressive. Beneath is a proposal dependent from a study the author done on the Language and Literature application of Famy National Substantial University Laguna, Philippines on the probable remedy to assistance the deficiency of learners preparation and exposure to Literature prior to they go to tertiary or greater training sans the problem of adding quantity of years in the secondary university.
Following scanning the environment of the pupils, academics and the components out there in Famy Nationwide Large School in Laguna Philippines they each applied when they had the English 4, the proponent noticed the requirements to get ready the refreshing graduates from the Famy Nationwide Substantial School by giving a preparatory crash course program in Literature to prepare them for the needs and rigors of college or university Literature courses.
The fourth-calendar year large college students did not have more than enough exposure in finding out Literature because the book they utilised entitled Moving In advance in English posted in 1999 which was framed on integrative tactic therefore, mastery of the four macro abilities was emphasized throughout the yr. The lessons they had in Literature was a combined of World Literature, Asian Literature and Philippine Literature given just after each and every lesson. Their exposure on Literature was not based on a good basis due to the fact the concentrate was extra on language and not on Literature. Out of 7 lessons, just one was only given to Literature with questions focusing on the ethical or didactic classes. The college students themselves appeared at Literature as springboard lessons to language lessons without price for it as an art type.
The two instructors them selves assigned in teaching the fourth calendar year were being passionate academics instructing the language classes but they turn out to be a lot less energetic when they attain the Literature lessons for the reason that learners did not read through. Just one teacher was BSE key in English graduate from Union Faculty of Sta. Cruz, Laguna and the other was unit earner in Education with a Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy. Each rarely go to seminars on the current tendencies and troubles in instructing Literature mainly because of the shortage of fiscal aid from the faculty. Consequently, their know-how and strategies had been based mostly from their outdated undergraduate schema.
With these difficulties, the proponent without a doubt saw the wants of preparing the students by way of a crash course plan in Literature with the following motives:
1. advise college students about the fundamentals of Literature they by no means experienced in large college 2. examine literature, not as a springboard of language lessons, but as it is as an art 3. prepare college students to the calls for of Literature programs in School and 4. immerse college students on the recent traits, procedures and challenges in finding out Literature.
B. DESCRIPTION OF THE System: The crash class plan in Literature principally aims to prepare the incoming freshmen to School Literature courses that they never realized or encountered a great deal in high school, not since they were being not taught, but because the strategy then was integrative of the 4 macro capabilities and Literature was utilized as springboard to language classes. The crash program discusses the essentials of Literature from principles, theories, use of techniques, trends and problems in mastering literature applied completely in educating the students. The system is only a crash program to be delivered in 45 hours with 3 several hours per lesson. The fifteen-day classes possibly in MWF (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) or TThS (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) schedules are devoted to classroom discussion and other recent routines that culminate in a variety present of poetry recitation, dramatization and choral recitation, routines which are also executed in college or university. It is in MWF or TThS plan to give learners time to go through and carry out their assignments on the lessons prior to coming to course.
C. PROPONENT OF THE Plan The proponent of the software is Wilfredo M. Valois who is a recent scholar in Doctor of Philosophy key in Literature at the Philippine Standard College, Manila. He has been educating Literature subjects at the Royal and Pontifical University of Sto. Tomas (UST), Manila for twelve (12) a long time. He has taught subjects like Philippine Literature in English, Introduction to Literature and Classical Planet Literature.
D. FRAMEWORK OF THE Application With the introduction of technologies exclusively the television, radio and world wide web, people today have turn into fewer receptive to what is likely on about them, fairly, they turn out to be more dependent on what they check out, they see and what they listen to instead than what they browse. People’s vision is blurred by the ease and comfort what know-how gives them therefore forgetting the worth of looking at, the value of Literature. In the academe, with the concentration on the communicative competence and other at any time-modifying approaches and theories, the teaching and discovering of Literature is generally dwarfed, minimized or even deserted by several faculties.
Carolina Garcia and Ophelia Diamante reminded audience that Literature ought to inform and entertain. A very good literature should be in a position to awaken persons from ignorance to enlightenment. In addition, they mentioned that literature need to have intellectual value, psychological worth, spiritual price, universality, permanence, style and most of all artistry.
Equally, Edilberto Tiempo states that literature or excellent literature is intended to shift, it need to seduce but a work’s emotive high-quality ought to not assault the sensibility, it should be ungirded by reasonableness, by logic, it must enhance and fulfill the intellect, it need to have the inevitability.
The standards on how the literary options in this crash training course plan on Literature ended up based mostly from Jose Garcia Villa’s requirements as cited by Edilberto K. Tiempo’s solutions on what must be incorporated in any anthology of Literature. They are substance and form. Jose Garcia villa mentioned that he followed double common of form and substance. Compound involves vitality of topic and substantial assortment of specifics. Real material is achieved only when a pulse beats via the correlated points, for considerable material on your own, if without defeat of lifestyle, remain useless substance. To realize validity, consequently, compound in fiction need to be dwelling as nicely as substantial. The 2nd test is kind. It requires vigor of structure while kind and substance in literature are a inventive a single and they are indivisible, however they are distinct. Consequently making feasible this check of sort. Variety, in literature, is the sufficient and stunning externalization of substance. It is not restrictive, mould, but is totally free, however artistically disciplined presentation of material.
Literature liberates the thoughts and spirit as a person reads through the web pages. The encounter a single has in on the lookout at a painting, listening to a classical audio or a shifting effectiveness in a theatre is equivalent to the studying of a literary textual content. It moves the intellect to think critically. It touches the coronary heart with that emotive electrical power when one reads poetry or reads a engage in. All these consequences and more are seasoned by viewers or learners which includes the lovers when they are arrested by highly effective literary texts with beautiful variety and material.
Literature is an instrument to fight illiteracy. People have grow to be dependent on going photos and flashed merchandise that they are likely to go through fewer. Individuals have develop into lazy visitors if not none audience at all, therefore elevating our position of illiteracy. Many thanks to the government’s work in putting Alternative Studying Method or ALS in numerous municipalities and barangays wherever academics teach the illiterates. But the initiatives are geared toward economic and not inventive. Hence, the debate on the conflict between “art for art’s sake” (autonomy of the art) and “artwork for social awareness” (proletariat literature) is once yet again higher. The crash course delivers an solution to this discussion as it hinges on bridging the hole and conflict involving the autonomy of art and social awakening by providing pupils the creative literary texts that will give them at the similar time an awakening together the way in the research of literatures.
The plan is created to satisfy the demands established by the Fee on Higher Schooling (CHED) to give at least six models of Literature classes throughout self-control in the general education and learning. Specifically, the two classes are Introduction to Environment Literatures and Regional Philippines Literatures. That when they progress to university education, incoming freshmen will be a lot more than all set to confront the demands of the Literature classes with out insecurity and ignorance due to absence of exposure and training in literatures.
E. Targets: At the stop of the crash program, incoming freshmen are envisioned to: 1. Determine the this means of literature 2. Differentiate fiction and non-fiction 3. Enumerate the 5 genres of literature 4. Compare and distinction the characteristics of narrative and poetry 5. Attract or diagram the construction of a narrative plot 6. Browse a poem with emotions according to its kind 7. Make clear the figures of speech made use of in the texts 8. Detect people in the quick story, novel or drama 9. Explain the placing in the limited story, novel or drama 10. Organize sensible sequence of plot in the quick tale, novel or drama 11. Synthesize themes from the texts 12. Trace the causes and results of actions of people in the texts 13. Respect the textual content the lifestyle of a nation 14. Establish an author and his/her function 15. Analyze a text utilizing distinctive ways in knowledge literature 16. Publish a critique on the assigned literary textual content 17. Recite correctly and individually a poem 18. Dramatize successfully scenes from the textual content 19. Mount a wide range exhibit highlighting poetry recitation, dramatization and choral recitation.
F. Course Written content: The crash class incorporates excerpts from Literature programs that Commission on Bigger Schooling CHED has mandated what every university university student really should acquire throughout willpower. Namely they are:
LITERATURE 1: Regional Philippine Literatures
This program provides a survey of planet literatures representing a gamut of human experiences as exemplified in unique literary sorts and kinds.
LITERATURE 2: Introduction to Earth Literatures
This course introduces students to agent literatures from the locations tackling the large array of Filipino encounters and experiences as these are expressed as a result of themes this kind of as gender, racial identity, class and record
G. MATRIX OF COMPETENCIES/Goals AND THEIR CORRESPONDING Classes:
1. Define the this means of literature Lesson on Introduction to Literature 2. Differentiate fiction and non-fiction Lesson on Introduction to Literature 3. Enumerate the 5 genres of literature Lesson on introduction to Literature 4. Look at and contrast the capabilities of narrative and poetry Lesson on Introduction to Literature 5. Attract or diagram the structure of a narrative plot Lesson on Introduction to Literature 6. Read a poem with emotions according to its style Lesson on Poetry 7. Describe the figures of speech made use of in the texts Lesson on Poetry 8. Determine figures in the quick tale, novel or drama Lesson in Fiction 9. Explain the placing in the quick tale, novel or drama Lesson in Fiction 10. Prepare rational sequence of plot in the short tale, novel or drama Lesson in Fiction 11. Synthesize themes from the texts All classes 12. Trace the leads to and consequences of steps of figures in the texts All lessons 13. Respect the textual content the tradition of a region All lessons 14. Recognize an creator and his/her work All lessons 15. Examine a text using diverse approaches in knowing literature
All lessons 16. Create a critique on the assigned literary text lessons in poetry, quick story, novel, drama and essay 17. Recite affectively and independently a poem Lesson on Poetry 18. Dramatize correctly scenes from the textual content Lesson on Fiction 19. Mount a wide variety present highlighting poetry recitation, dramatization and choral recitation. All classes
H. SYLLABUS ON THE CRASH Study course Software IN LITERATURE
Content material/ Subject areas Training/Mastering Things to do Time Allotment 1. An Overview on Literature a. Definition b. Reasons why we examine literature
Team get the job done brainstorming Dialogue Timeline
2. Varieties of Literature a. Fiction and non-fiction b. According to nations around the world c. According to classification Library study Excitement team discussion Jigsaw puzzle Diagramming
3 several hours
3. Seven (7) criteria of very good Literature a. Samples for each and every exemplifying each regular
Pair work Collage Poster-generating 3 hrs
4. Genres of Literatures a. Poetry b. Limited tale c. Novel d. Drama e. essay Popcorn dialogue Diagramming Thought bubbles 3 several hours
5. Poetry a. Nature and types b. Factors c. Figures of speech Lecture Chanting Diagramming 3 hours
6. Studying and examining of samples of poetry a. “God Explained I created a Guy” by Jose Garcia Villa b. “The Man of Earth” by Amador T. Daguio c. “Si Lola Isyang at ang Matandang Puno ng Kaimito” d. “Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening” by Robert Frost e. “I am Nobody” by Emily Dickenson f. A sonnet by William Shakespeare g. “Psalm 23” by King David Discussion Reading through of the text Chanting of the textual content Unlocking vocabulary Position participating in Pair do the job Synthesizing by slogan Write a critique paper 3 hrs
7. Brief Tale a. Character and sorts b. Aspects Discussion Diagramming Library study 2 several hours
8. Reading and discussing/ examining of samples: a. “How My Brother Leon Introduced House a Wife” by Manuel Arguilla b. “Harvest” by Loreto Paras Sulit c. “Footnote to Youth” by Jose Garcia Villa d. “The Woman and the Tiger” Anonymous e. “The Present of the Magi” by O. Henry f. “The Necklace” by Man de Maupassant Literary map Assumed bubbles Comics strip Film poster Radio drama Skit Part enjoying Tableaux Discussion Write a critique paper
4 several hours
9. Novel a. Character and styles b. Aspects Dialogue diagramming 2 hrs
10. Looking at and discussing/examining of samples: a. An excerpt from America is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan b. The Pearl by John Steinbeck Literary map Considered bubbles Comics strip Movie poster Radio drama Skit Job playing Tableaux Discussion Publish a critique paper
4 several hours
11. Drama a. Mother nature and varieties b. Factors Discussion Pair work Jigsaw puzzle 2 hrs
12. Reading and talking about/analyzing of samples: a. “The Globe is an Apple” by Alberto Florentino b. “New Yorker in Tondo” by Marcelino Angana Considered bubbles Comics strip Film poster Radio drama Skit Position playing Generate a critique paper Tableaux Dialogue
4 hours 13. Essay a. Mother nature and sorts b. Elements Discussion Diagramming 2 several hours
14. Reading and discussing and analyzing of samples: a. “Heritage of Smallness” (an excerpt) by Nick Joaquin b. “On Having a Stomach” by Lin Yutang c. “Of Reports” by Francis Bacon Mock debate Pair work Buzz team dialogue Slogan crafting Discussion Create a critique paper 4 hours
15. Culminating Action by means of a Selection Demonstrate of: a. Poetry recitation of “Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Night” b. Skit or Dramatization of “New Yorker in Tondo” c. Choral Recitation of “God Said I Created a Male” Wide range exhibit Poetry recitation Dramatization Choral recitation 3 hrs